Greg Lopp on 7 Jul 2004 02:51:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd burning on a samba burner

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:45:02PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to get any Linux CD burning software to recognize and
> >use a CD writer that is actually attached to a windows PC on a samba
> >network?
> >
> I don't think that's possible in any case.  Reading is one thing...

Since burning a CD is fundamentally different than a simple write
to an HD, this is unlikely.  Writing to an HD is something that
passes down through the kernel, learning what fs the given volume
is using and therefore what needs to be written in addition to
just your data....but you don't care about all that. You just
tell the system to write something and it handles the details.
With a CD burner on the other hand, you use A) an application
which knows what additional data needs to be written (mkisofs for
example) and B) an application which knows how to talk to the
firmware of your specific burner (like cdrdao or cdrecord).

Samba only allows you to see that there are remote volumes.  You
can't see what fs they use (only the remote kernel needs to know
that)  You only need to speak samba to write to the remote
volume.  Samba does not speak firmware commands.

Now, if the remote windows machine was using one of those funky
drivers that integrated into the kernel such that you can drag
and drop to a CDRW, then you'd have something.  As long as you
can write to that remote cd burner without the help of an
application, you've got something.