Michael C. Toren on 7 Jul 2004 04:19:04 -0000

[PLUG] administrivia: PLUG domain names, and donation requests

Hi,

As some of you already know, for the past few years Darxus and I have
been paying for and maintaining the phillylinux.com, .net, and .org
domain names.  It's a service we're happy to provide to the PLUG
community, but one whose cost adds up over time.  Recently two of the
domains were up for renewal again, and we've decided to ask for small,
individual contributions at the PLUG meeting tomorrow to help offset
the cost.

Historically PLUG has operated under a predominantly anarchic model,
which has worked remarkably well for us.  I have some fears that the
additional structure required to maintain openness and accountability
in order to support donations has the potential to disrupt this long
standing system, however after giving it a good deal of thought, I
believe the following measures can mitigate that fear:

I will only accept donations in person, at PLUG meetings which it has
been previously announced donations will be requested.  I will only
accept donations in amounts between $1 and $10, and in increments of $1.
I will stop accepting donations if a limit of $100 is reached, which is
the approximate cost of the three domain names for two years at current
exchange rates, plus or minus $10 or so.  Immediately following a
meeting at which donations were requested, I'll post a message to the
list documenting how much money was received, from how many donors, and,
at the discretion of each individual donor, their names.  When money
raised from donations is spent on domain name renewals, I'll similarly
post to the list documenting how much was spent, and for which domains.

I'm very interested in hearing thoughts and comments to these guidelines.

Thanks,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec