Paul on 9 Jul 2004 22:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dell and Linux

Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

As far as M$ not being able to handle the competition, well, their track record speaks for me in that area. All I really wanted to say was that M$ has been known to hold out licenses and price breaks from OEMs that were selling other OSs (e.g. Linux) and some contracts specifically state that in order to get the "deal" they are getting, they cannot sell any other OSs on the same hardware. IMO, Dell cried foul on the press release b/c they didn't know it was going to get that much press and didn't want to run afoul of M$'s "good graces".

Yes, M$ "handles" the competition, but not in a fair way such as M$ software versus everyone else's software. That's what I was alluding to. It's about masterful manipulation.