Art Alexion on 14 Jul 2004 10:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

Kevin Brosius wrote:

Art wrote:

Maybe Magnus will jump in, as TruePosition is working on cell phone
location techniques for just these purposes.  Although maybe he doesn't
have heavy involvement in the engineering side.  While there has been
talk of GPS 'chips' in cell phones for years, one of the other
techniques of phone locating involves using basic RDF (Radio Direction
Finding) between the tower or towers and your cell phone.  This doesn't
require satellite view to make work, and can theoretically be done
cheaper than putting GPS in all the phones.  Last I heard, TruePosition
didn't have it fully commercialized, although that could have changed in
the recent couple months.

I suspect that GPS is not necessary. Years ago when I had an analog Oki 910, I read an article in 2600 that showed what phone codes to press to use the Oki 900 as a tracking device -- that was analog. If I were hiding I wouldn't use *any* cell phone, ATM or credit card.

--

art Alexion