Art Clemons on 14 Jul 2004 05:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

Art Alexion:
>My cell phone is one of my primary business tools, and I have done a
>lot of shopping and testing.  CMDA service (Sprint/Virgin and Verizon)
>is often clearer than land lines, and is not even detectable by the
>prison phone system (that is set up to disconnect calls to cell phones
>and three way calling features).  TMDA (Cingular) and GSM (Cingular,
>ATT and T-Mobile) is almost always recognizable except with the
>strongest signals.  Nextel, well...

I'm a little more paranoid about cell phone privacy than most. While it's illegal to intercept a cell call w/o court authorization, I'ld be willing to bet such interception occurs at times even with one of the digital formats like Sprint PCS for example. I don't have caller ID but I can usually spot cell calls by the sound of the voice if I know the caller regardless of the service or provider. I suspect that more bass response and highs are clipped than is normal even with a cheap "landline" phone. Of course my now deceased aunt could always tell when I called her with a VOIP phone too so I am only so picky. I can now usually understand folks on cell phones unlike the old analog days.

>Bottom line cell service varies widely, and the carrier that works best >for one person, is not necessarily the best for another.

I used to live in Chicago, I was shocked that my friend's Sprint phone dropped out so regularly since I had used an analog cell phone from many of the same areas without dropout although obviously not with Sprint. Sprint claims to cover metropolitan Chicago quite well but missed out on parts of the Loop.