Paul on 13 Jul 2004 03:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

I think those suggesting that you must still have a land line are
being silly. Many people get along just fine with only a cell phone
these days. Land lines are on the way out, and it's not that much to
be scared over.

An alternate phone was the suggestion, not necessarily a land line. One issue is power or service loss. With VoIP there are many more points of failure. The other issue is the ease of use and reliability of 911. I want my 5 year old to be able to get help even if all he does is dial 911. Just dialing 911 and hanging up will still get you a police visit.

It's my job as a parent to consider safety under all circumstances. Only a parent would put a chain on a door to keep people _in_ in addition to keeping people out. Parent's also worry that there might a problem when it's too quiet. It might seem silly, but bad things can happen when we're not vigilant.

I can keep our land line and have VoIP for about $40 per month. Right now our MCI all-in-one plan costs around $67 per month. I could use that $27 per month in my pocket. Also, I would gain the benefit of having two lines in addition to all the features that come with VoIP. It's a compromise that I would have to make. That is, unless I can find that old cell phone we had sitting around. That could be our special Bat phone or Power Puff hotline if you prefer.

Things I'd like to know about: Is it necessary to pay extra to use a fax machine? What is E911?