gabriel rosenkoetter on 12 Jul 2004 23:56:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

I thought we already had a thread about VoIP (I say "voyp" or "voice
over IP" depending on how much of a hurry I'm in) services, but
maybe that was the Swarthmore (College) LUG mailing list.

I'm a Vonage subscriber, and I'm quite happy with it. It's the same
service you could pay Verizon for but for half the cost, which I
like since I was paying for SDSL either way, so I don't need to have
a regular phone. I've a couple of friends with Packet8 service, and
their equally content.

I don't understand what the concern over 911 is. With Vonage, you
have to actively state that you want it, and your call goes to an
emergency services dispatcher rather than 911 (the main difference
being that they don't know your address based on your phone number),
and I understand why this would be a concern in the "maked intruder
in home" context, but I'd much rather have my privacy. You have to
actively ask for the phone number to be listed with VoIP, and I've
had zero sales calls since switching over.

What's more, you can pick up the router box and take it with you to
any IP connection (with sufficient bandwidth) in order to take your
home phone along (on vacation, when visiting out of town family,
whatever). One of my Packet8-using friends, who is a network
infrastructure consultant, recently spent about a month with his
parents-in-law (and wife), taking his Packet8 phone box along. He
was able to function as if he were working from his home office.

I think those suggesting that you must still have a land line are
being silly. Many people get along just fine with only a cell phone
these days. Land lines are on the way out, and it's not that much to
be scared over.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net