Art Clemons on 13 Jul 2004 04:37:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

>Things I'd like to know about: Is it necessary to pay extra to use a
>fax machine?  What is E911?

One of the things that Packet8 and Vonage don't do is offer the ability to fax using their services. Depending upon your perspective one of the free online fax services might be adequate as a substitute, remember that there will be advertising.

E911 is Packet8's service that relays your positition to the 911 server for whatever community you register with Packet8. In other words if you tell them you live in Philadelphia, your E911 calls will go to Philadelphia's 911 number with the information you gave Packet8. I don't know what it costs, I find a landline phone comforting, I just got back from a really large city (Chicago) where my friend's cellphone could not be used even in roaming in much of the city. It worried him more than me, but was one more reason why I want a landline. Also cell service dies pretty much when the available channels are used by a lot of people at once. Try center city at rush hour with some providers and you'll get no service. I was an early adopter of cell phones, I'm no longer a big fan and I sincerely hope that cell phones won't become a replacement for every phone usage. Finally am I the only one this list who can tell whether someone is calling from a cell phone most of the time?