Paul on 13 Jul 2004 07:46:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP

Art Clemons wrote:

>Things I'd like to know about: Is it necessary to pay extra to use a
>fax machine?  What is E911?

One of the things that Packet8 and Vonage don't do is offer the ability to fax using their services. Depending upon your perspective one of the free online fax services might be adequate as a substitute, remember that there will be advertising.

Vonage offers a dedicated fax line free with it's business package, or $10 per month with a residential plan. It seems that the cost is for the additional line. I'm wondering if a fax would work on the regular line. If not, how do they prevent it from working?

E911 is Packet8's service that relays your positition to the 911 server for whatever community you register with Packet8. In other words if you tell them you live in Philadelphia, your E911 calls will go to Philadelphia's 911 number with the information you gave Packet8. I don't know what it costs

It costs an additional $3.00 per month and a $10 activation fee. It isn't even guaranteed to work. The local emergency service may not automatically receive your name and location info. Then there are possibilities for delays which could be fatal. At this point I think it's safer to assume that you will not have 911 service.

*Important.* It was pointed out to me that cell phones without active service do not indicate location; one of the problems with VoIP 911 relaying.

I might just try Primus' Lingo service. It costs $40 to get started, but then the first three months are "free", then $20 per month thereafter. So, that's $220 for the first year. In comparison, my current MCI plan costs about $800 per year. (Big money for me.)