Paul on 15 Jul 2004 18:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

Russell Nordquist wrote:

my question is this....is it possible in philly to get DSL w/o local
phone. see

I would say no. In NJ I have a wired phone without Verizon service. I can't get Verizon DSL unless I switch to Verizon for basic phone service.

With Comcast, if you don't have basic cable service, you have to pay extra to get a Internet connection. I think it costs $10 more per month; about the same price as basic cable service.

Of course, there are more options that people on this list have covered in the past. (I like options.)

I wanted to switch from Comcast cable to Verizon DSL to reduce cost and provide competition for Comcast. I couldn't, and now that I'm about to try VoIP, I want to hold on to Comcast a little while longer because it has proven to be faster and more stable than DSL in my location.

My town sent out surveys on the topic of changing cable TV service providers. I wonder it if would ever happen. I was here when a switch /to/ Comcast happened, but I can't imagine switching /from/ Comcast to another provider. I mean, technically, I can imagine it, but business-wise, I don't know.