gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Jul 2004 00:07:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:38:26PM -0500, Russell Nordquist wrote:
> my question is this....is it possible in philly to get DSL w/o local
> phone.

Of course. It's impossible to get ADSL without a local phone, but
SDSL is by definition a separate line, not a shared line, so that
works fine. I've got Speakeasy SDSL, no Verizon phone line at all,
and my old Verizon number transferred to Vonage voip service. (Note
that SDSL is "slightly" more expensive, but it's been far more
reliable service.)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:35:49PM -0500, Russell Nordquist wrote:
> it looks like i am going to need a land line for DSL, or use comcast. i
> am leaning towards covad dsl.....

If you can get COVAD provisioning, then you can get Speakeasy, which
I highly recommend, from personal experience. I also highly
recommend, and you can also get, a regional ISP that operates
through COVAD DSL provisioning whose name slips my mind (eek, sorry
guys; they watch this list) based on second-hand knowledge.

Note that there are three logical entities in the DSL business: the
people who provision the line (Verizon around here, whatever your
local Baby Bell is elsewhere; they're a monopoly, accept it and
move on) and own the central office in question, the DSL provider
(could be Verizon, could be COVAD, sounds like it could be Cavalier
too) who own the DSLAM and either rent a full cage or rent rack
space in the CO, and the ISP (could be just about anybody, as long
as they have a relationship with the available DSL providers) who
actually route your traffic to and from the Internet.

Search through the list's archives, this has been done to death
before.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net