William H. Magill on 16 Jul 2004 00:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

On 15 Jul, 2004, at 15:33, Paul wrote:

William H. Magill wrote:

I happen to have a Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) line that costs me $14 a month for what I think they call "life line" service. No frills, no Long Distance, no message units, etc. The line actually costs more in so-called "taxes" than it costs for the line! ($4.88 for the phone line and $1.75 for an unlisted number -- the rest is all "taxes!" $6.10 for "Federal Line cost charge," $.54 for "Federal Universal Service Fund surcharge," $1.00 for the "911 fee" and $ .08 for the PA Relay service, plus $.40 Federal Tax.)

Does that line also do local calling?

I guess regional calling is pushing it. I don't need long distance because my Lingo VoIP box is scheduled for delivery today. (This is going to be fun.)

"It's a dial-tone line!" -- You can call anywhere you want with it, even long distance. You just have to pay for the calls, on a per-call basis. (It's not blocked from dialing-9 like a PBX line.)

"Local Calling" and "Regional Calling" are simply "tariffs" ... how you pay for the calls. As soon as you start adding "calling plans" your costs go up. I forget for certain, but Phila used to have 5 zones covering the local area radiating outwards from center city. Land Line tariffs are not significantly different than those for cell phones. (Guess where the Cell phone companies got the idea from.)

The "life line" service has a $.25 credit toward message units. (I forget how long/much a message unit is.)

All this is, or used to be, defined in the front of the phone book.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a # XP1000 [Alpha EV6] magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com