Russell Nordquist on 16 Jul 2004 00:34:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 19:01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:39:38PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> >   Are you planning no phone service at all?  You can also get high speed
> > internet (It's not ADSL, but named RADSL, IIRC) from Cavalier,
>
> Is to.
>
> The R just means "residential".

but RADSL it is theoretically more distance tolerant ADSL (R for
rate-adaptive). from what i can tell the modem tests the line and then
sets the rate accordingly. see
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=radsl
i have no actual experience with RADSL though.

> I really like my SDSL line from Speakeasy, but it's enough money
> that you have to actually want the QoS (and low-latency, relative to
> a cable modem) for it to be worth it.

SDSL would be fun, but this move is costing enough. if Cavalier is bad,
at least i am not contracted to them.

russell