Paul on 15 Jul 2004 19:34:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

William H. Magill wrote:

I happen to have a Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) line that costs me $14 a month for what I think they call "life line" service. No frills, no Long Distance, no message units, etc. The line actually costs more in so-called "taxes" than it costs for the line! ($4.88 for the phone line and $1.75 for an unlisted number -- the rest is all "taxes!" $6.10 for "Federal Line cost charge," $.54 for "Federal Universal Service Fund surcharge," $1.00 for the "911 fee" and $ .08 for the PA Relay service, plus $.40 Federal Tax.)

Does that line also do local calling?

I guess regional calling is pushing it. I don't need long distance because my Lingo VoIP box is scheduled for delivery today. (This is going to be fun.)

(Wow, the VoIP box just showed up! Hmm. I also got a GPS handheld from Amazon for wardriving. They usually ship books in protective boxes. The GPS they send in a padded envelope?! Yeah, I know, sometimes I act like I have money and I babble. Well, I babble more often than spend money.)