William H. Magill on 15 Jul 2004 19:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

On 15 Jul, 2004, at 13:38, Russell Nordquist wrote:
I am moving to the Art Museum area from Chicago in a few weeks and am
investigating my internet options. It looks like verizon DSL (or a
company that uses verizon's lines) and comcast cable are the options.
any recommendations? dsl reports seems to rate them about equally.

my question is this....is it possible in philly to get DSL w/o local
phone. see
http://news.com.com/Verizon+to+offer+%27naked%27+DSL/2100-1034_3 -5221095.html?tag=nl

i know i have had friends here who have tried with ameritech and failed,
but i am hoping for better luck in philly.

It's a function of who your local phone provider happens to be, AND who your DSL provider happens to be.

As far as the copper is concerned ALL of it belongs to Verizon. Various CLECs may control it, but when it comes time to "roll a truck" it's a Verizon truck to your demark.

At one time DCAnet was offering COVAD service in Phila. But I don't believe that they do any longer. (Primarily because of COVAD's corporate issues; and COVAD may never have offered service in Center City, don't know.) They now offer Verizon DSL, but I don't know if they offer it as naked service.

I have DCAnet DSL -- over a Verizon line.

I happen to have a Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) line that costs me $14 a month for what I think they call "life line" service. No frills, no Long Distance, no message units, etc. The line actually costs more in so-called "taxes" than it costs for the line! ($4.88 for the phone line and $1.75 for an unlisted number -- the rest is all "taxes!" $6.10 for "Federal Line cost charge," $.54 for "Federal Universal Service Fund surcharge," $1.00 for the "911 fee" and $ .08 for the PA Relay service, plus $.40 Federal Tax.)

Assorted CLECs also offer DSL service in various COs. I could use Cavalier, but I don't know if they provide DSL in the CO for the Art Museum area.

Sadly, everyone is "competitively priced" -- that is to say, none of them are significantly cheaper than anyone else. While there is "competition," nobody is pushing for market share by offering dramatically lower costs.

Comecast is pledging to provide VoIP service throughout their "systems" over the next year. I don't know if Comcast in the Art Museum area offers it or not. I happen to be in Time Warner (RoadRunner)(aka Wade Cablevision) turf and don't have the option, at least not yet.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com