Russell Nordquist on 15 Jul 2004 19:04:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 13:41, Ed Martin wrote:
> Want my opinion... The all corporate snakes you just have to figure out
> which one is worse. I've been with comcast due to the least amount of
> tecnical support I need. Plus a public IP address. (important if you
> want to do any type of hosting.

i agree on the snakes part. i am looking at some of the smaller dsl
companies for better customer service. i've been calling dsl providers
and so far they have all answered quickly except verizon who estimated
30min wait time. now to figure out if one of the many dsl modems i have
from failed ISP's will work as a normal bridge or if they are all made
ISP specific.

with regard to the static IP issue....i have been using ddclient with my
dns provider's dynamic dns service. this has made dynamic ip's ok. my
only worry is the providers that block port 80.

i am against comcast because they're a bit pricey unless i get cable as
well....

russell