Bob Wassell on 17 Jul 2004 14:54:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

Pardon for the top post, using m$ outlook... (will switch asap).
about your comment about switching to Verizon from comcast,

I did it, and they pulled the old "what if we lowered the price for x months to $19.95?"

(I just wanted out, I'm not a fan of theirs.  I'd rather have slower pipe, cheaper costs
and the service NOT be them)

As an FYI, you (or anyone, for that matter) probably could call them up and bluff
for the lower price (like people constantly used to do with aol years ago).

bobb

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 2:14 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

Russell Nordquist wrote:

>my question is this....is it possible in philly to get DSL w/o local
>phone. see

I would say no.  In NJ I have a wired phone without Verizon service.  I
can't get Verizon DSL unless I switch to Verizon for basic phone service.

With Comcast, if you don't have basic cable service, you have to pay
extra to get a Internet connection.  I think it costs $10 more per
month; about the same price as basic cable service.

Of course, there are more options that people on this list have covered
in the past.  (I like options.)

I wanted to switch from Comcast cable to Verizon DSL to reduce cost and
provide competition for Comcast.  I couldn't, and now that I'm about to
try VoIP, I want to hold on to Comcast a little while longer because it
has proven to be faster and more stable than DSL in my location.

My town sent out surveys on the topic of changing cable TV service
providers.  I wonder it if would ever happen.  I was here when a switch
/to/ Comcast happened, but I can't imagine switching /from/ Comcast to
another provider.  I mean, technically, I can imagine it, but
business-wise, I don't know.