Stephen Gran on 17 Jul 2004 14:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hotplug not working w 2.6

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:04:31AM -0400, Jon Nelson said:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> What I have in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases is 'alias char-major-10-1 psmouse'.

Looks fine.

> I also have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/isapnp/isapnp.aliases:
>
> -------------snip------------------------------------------------snip
> # These aliases are used by /etc/hotplug/isapnp.rc and are needed here
> # because the modules themselves are not providing them.
>
> alias pnp:dPNP0400 parport_pc
> alias pnp:dPNP0401 parport_pc
> alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir
> alias pnp:dPNP0511 irtty-sir
> alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
> alias pnp:dPNP0800 pcspkr
> alias pnp:dPNP0B00 rtc
> alias pnp:dPNP0303 atkbd
> alias pnp:dPNP0F13 psmouse
> alias pnp:dPNPB02F analog
>
> -------------snip------------------------------------------------snip

Looks good also.  Just one question - why is psmouse under isapnp?  Is
it really coming over an ISA bus somehow?  Do you even have an ISA bus
on that machine?  I have a machine that has one, but it must be 8 or 10
years old.

> At boot I get errors that none of these could be loaded.

Can you post them?  I'm not much of a kernel guy, but maybe I can help.

> As far as /etc/modprobe.conf, the other day when I ran modconf I got an
> error that I didn't  have a /etc/modprobe.conf.  I touched one and the
> error went away, but the file is empty.  I'm still not sure what files I
> should be editing to fix this, but my guess is /etc/hotplug/isapnp.rc.
> Any further help and/or insight into how this happened is greatly
> appreciated.

Yeah - my understanding is that /etc/modprobe.conf is for local
additions, and so it's either empty or missing.

man 5 modprobe.conf has some details, although it looks like there is
some erroneous information in it (i.e., it mentions the absent program
generate_modprobe.conf).  Good luck.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Wagner's music is better than it        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | sounds.   -- Mark Twain                 |