Jon Nelson on 17 Jul 2004 04:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hotplug not working w 2.6

Stephen Gran said:
> ISTR that 2.6 kernels use a different loader than 2.4 kernels, and the
Debian >layout for them is slightly different.  I would guess that the
psmouse module isn't >being loaded because there is no alias for
whatever X is looking for (/dev/psaux >or /dev/usb/mouse or something)
to the module psmouse.  I do see it >in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, but
maybe yours is missing for some reason.  You can >add it to
/etc/modprobe.conf if need be.
Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

What I have in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases is 'alias char-major-10-1 psmouse'.
I also have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/isapnp/isapnp.aliases:

-------------snip------------------------------------------------snip
# These aliases are used by /etc/hotplug/isapnp.rc and are needed here
# because the modules themselves are not providing them.

alias pnp:dPNP0400 parport_pc
alias pnp:dPNP0401 parport_pc
alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir
alias pnp:dPNP0511 irtty-sir
alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
alias pnp:dPNP0800 pcspkr
alias pnp:dPNP0B00 rtc
alias pnp:dPNP0303 atkbd
alias pnp:dPNP0F13 psmouse
alias pnp:dPNPB02F analog

-------------snip------------------------------------------------snip

At boot I get errors that none of these could be loaded.

As far as /etc/modprobe.conf, the other day when I ran modconf I got an
error that I didn't  have a /etc/modprobe.conf.  I touched one and the
error went away, but the file is empty.  I'm still not sure what files I
should be editing to fix this, but my guess is /etc/hotplug/isapnp.rc.
Any further help and/or insight into how this happened is greatly
appreciated.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation