Art Clemons on 16 Jul 2004 17:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/o local phone

Not apropo your "..in Philly" requirement, but anyway...
I live in Downingtown (35 miles NW). I could not get DSL (too far from
the CO, so they said) and already had Comcast cable, so I just added the
Broadband Service. I have been VERY well satisfied. The so-called
"slow down when everyone else is on" syndrome has never been noticed,
They are very reliable and paying one bill for both services is fine.

You may not have enough folks on your loop yet to produce a noticeable slowdown or alternatively you may not be trying to download a large file during peak hours. I get a noticeable slowdown during peak hours in throughput although just if I'm just for example switching from URL to URL I cannot tell the difference. Oh yes, some hams have found DSL modems to go slightly crazy in strong RF fields without a lot of attention to shielding, so you at least escaped that mess with cable.