Stephen Gran on 18 Jul 2004 16:09:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Setting up DNS on Fedora Core 2

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:32:59AM -0400, Michael Lazin said:
> >Could you restate what you are trying to accomplish?  Do you want people
> >on the Internet to be able to resolve names against your personal DNS
> >server?  Do you just want a local DNS server to resolve names only
> >within your own network?  Or...?
>
> I am using the Linux box that I am trying to set DNS up on as a web
> server.  I want to set up a virtual host so I can host my brother's
> web site on my server and have it resolve to a domain name rather than
> something like http://lazinweb.homellinux.net/~andrew.  I believe that
> I need a DNS server to accomplish that, but I am totally new to this.
> I bought the o'reilly DNS and bind book and am working through it now.
> If you can point me in the right direction on how I can do this it
> would be appreciated.

You need to have publically available DNS records if you want people to
be able to view your pages from outside your network.  It sounds like
you don't currently control your own DNS, so it's not going to help much
to run bind locally (except that local name resolution will work).

The way this kind of thing works is:
 User types name into a browser
 browser uses system call to look up name in DNS, hoping to get an IP
  back
 system call uses standard libraries to first ask who does DNS for that
  domain
 then asks those DNS servers for the address of a particular machine
  within that domain
 browser connects to the IP returned, and asks for page

(rough outline only - subtleties entirely erased for clarity)

You're stuck at stage three, it looks like:
steve@gashuffer:~$ host -t ns homelinux.net
homelinux.net name server ns2.dyndns.org.
homelinux.net name server ns3.dyndns.org.
homelinux.net name server ns4.dyndns.org.
homelinux.net name server ns5.dyndns.org.
homelinux.net name server ns1.dyndns.org.

If you only care about name resolution from inside your network, then
running bind locally makes sense, and I or others can help you to get
it set up correctly.  If you want it publically accessable, you're going
to have to email dyndns.org or set it up manually in the web interface.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The average income of the modern        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | teenager is about 2 a.m.                |