William H. Magill on 18 Jul 2004 16:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Regional DSL ISP: DCANet

On 16 Jul, 2004, at 11:20, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:48:09AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
After their bankruptcy in 2000/1, they seriously scaled back their
operations... especially in the Delaware Valley.

Well, my Speakeasy line in Swarthmore, very much in the Delaware Valley, goes through Covad. Maybe you mean that they don't reach outlying areas as much any more?

The last time I spoke with folks who negotiated contracts with COVAD, they indicated that COVAD had scaled back significantly ... not by eliminating COs where they already had a presence, but in expanding to COs where they did not. Prior to bankruptcy, COVAD reportedly had plans to offer service in all COs in the Delaware Valley by about now. During bankruptcy, all expansion plans were halted. Expansion plans since then have been driven much more by real surveys of potential customers, than by marketing's belief that "if we build it, the customers will be there." My understanding is that today, COVAD has a very limited presence inside the city limits. (A cynic might ask if this happens to be at all similar to the RCN problems inside the city limits.)