Jesse Huestis on 19 Jul 2004 19:24:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS Recommendations?

Hi:

This is going to sound a bit like a sales pitch, but I am a raving American Power Conversion UPS fan. I have used and been selling them on and off for the various companies I have worked for and they are performance and feature wise the best I have been associated with. Best of all, they have a version of their software for Linux.

True story, a light strike on the computer distributor I worked for took out power to the entire building. We were selling APC, TrippLite, and SOLA. They were alll hit. They SOLA attactually caught on fire and we lost our phone system and had some fire damage. The Tripplite ate the strike but failed causing the server to crash. The APC, on a circuit on the wall struck, ate the strike and when its battery was exhausted shutdown the Parts server.

I have other equally good stories, but they are reliable and made mostly in the US by a company from Boston area.

Jesse

JP Toto wrote:

With the recent spat of storms we've had in the area lately, my mail server has been knocked off line a few times and I've had to wait until I got home from work to boot it back up again. I'de like, if possible, to hook it up to a UPS so that it will hopefully stay online long enough for thepower to come back on in my house. I really don't have much experience with UPS's so I was wondering what a good solution for a Linux box would be? Do any of them come with linux software? Do you even need to run the software for it to be effectice? Alot of them advertise serial or usb connections but Im assuming few, if any of them have software to run on linux. Im also trying to keep my costs down. Any advice would be great!

Cheers, - JP