Tom Diehl on 20 Jul 2004 14:30:03 -0000

[PLUG] Re: UPS Recommendations?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Jesse Huestis wrote:

> Hi:
>
> This is going to sound a bit like a sales pitch, but I am a raving
> American Power Conversion UPS fan.  I have used and been selling them on
> and off for the various companies I have worked for and they are
> performance and feature wise the best I have been associated with.  Best
> of all, they have a version of their software for Linux.

While I agree they have a nice reliable unit, it would be nice if they would
open up their specs. AFAIK they still refuse to release the control commands
except under nda. For some open source bigots this might be a problem. OTOH
most of the stuff has been reverse engineered so you can use things like nut
if you choose. Nut plays very well with the various APC units I have here.

> True story, a light strike on the computer distributor I worked for took
> out power to the entire building.  We were selling APC, TrippLite, and
> SOLA.  They were alll hit.  They SOLA attactually caught on fire and we
> lost our phone system and had some fire damage.  The Tripplite ate the
> strike but failed causing the server to crash.  The APC, on a circuit on
> the wall struck, ate the strike and when its battery was exhausted
> shutdown the Parts server.
>
> I have other equally good stories, but they are reliable and made mostly
> in the US by a company from Boston area.

Actually, they are in West Kingston, Rhode Island, which is about a 20 minute
drive south of Providence. Not that it really matters, but...

Tom