Kevin Carruthers on 25 Jul 2004 06:48:02 -0000

[PLUG] Hello and experience with SATA (vt8237) under linux

<intro>
Hello,

I have just recently subscribed to this list and have only been to one
meeting years ago.  My name is Kevin Carruthers and I look forward to
meeting the other members of plug and getting involved in some development
projects (anyone local involved in interesting projects?).
</intro>

I am trying to setup a system using serial ata for the first time and am
having mixed results.  The board I am using has the Via 8237 bridge chip.
It seems to be working for others (based on crawling debian and kernel
lists), there are even two closed bugs related to Debain Sarge.

My experience so far has not been a pleasant one.  Both debian and RH FC2
detect one (and sometimes both drives).  Note: I am not using these in a
RAID config just straight drives.  It seems very rare for both drives to
function at the same time.

The kernels see the drives, but timeout when querying the geometry and
partition tables.  The same drives are both accessible under MS Win2k
server...but I am not interested in using that!

Has anyone had success at booting from SATA under 2.6 kernels?  With Via
8237?  Seen any funny behavior where drives don't always come up?  I have
seen several tips and tricks on via and other forums but none seem to have
any effect.

Many thanks,
Kevin