David Chaplin-Loebell on 27 Jul 2004 15:59:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Help Wanted

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, M.Simons wrote:

> there is *NO SUCH THING* as NorthWEST philadelphia.  I have just seen a
> few people using that lately and I just don't get it.

This is a big surprise to me, since I've lived there all my life.

Northwest Philadelphia consists of Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Germantown,
Roxborough, Manayunk, East Falls, Olney, and Oak Lane.

This usage is far less bizarre to me than the use of the term "North
Philadelphia" to describe the part of Philadelphia which is just north of
center city, but south of the vast majority of land area in the city.

Thanks,
David