Walt Mankowski on 27 Jul 2004 16:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Help Wanted

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:58:36AM -0400, David Chaplin-Loebell wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, M.Simons wrote:
>
> > there is *NO SUCH THING* as NorthWEST philadelphia.  I have just seen a
> > few people using that lately and I just don't get it.
>
> This is a big surprise to me, since I've lived there all my life.
>
> Northwest Philadelphia consists of Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Germantown,
> Roxborough, Manayunk, East Falls, Olney, and Oak Lane.

I agree.  Philadelphia is roughly Y-shaped, and the areas you
mentioned are on the northwest part of the Y.  I don't know what
M. Simons is talking about.

> This usage is far less bizarre to me than the use of the term "North
> Philadelphia" to describe the part of Philadelphia which is just north of
> center city, but south of the vast majority of land area in the city.

Well, there's Southwest Philly, which is the part west of the
Schuyllkill...

Walt