kaze on 1 Aug 2004 19:29:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?

--> From: George Theall [mailto:theall@tifaware.com]
--> Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 4:31 PM
<snip>
--> I'm not a bind guru, but the zone files look ok.  I can query
--> ns[123].example.com for most things without problems; eg,
--> email.hostedexample.com, A record for example.com, MX record for
--> hostedexample.com, SOA records for both domains, etc.  The *only*
trouble
--> I've encountered is querying for an A record for hostedexample.com --
then
--> I get a timeout!
<snip>
--> Further testing suggests to me the problem is with the Cisco router,
--> which munges DNS responses in UDP but not TCP packets.  That is, I can
--> successfully query the A record if I use TCP rather than UDP (ie, "dig
--> @ns3.example.com -t a hostedexample.com +vc"), although that shows
--> internal 10.x addresses.
-->
--> Googling suggests this to be a problem with Cisco IOS and "overlapping
--> networks" -- see <http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/556/3.html>.
<snip>

<Neo> Whoa. </Neo> I'll read this.

hostedexample.com and www.hostedexample.com both point to a real IP with no
NAT for it setup yet. Pinging them from the outside returned "TTL expired in
transit." as it's like half there. The www A record is for a website not yet
created, the hostedexample.com is just incase somebody enters the domainname
without www. into a browser. I guess it's possible that these loose
unresolved things are screwing something up - I will resolve these just in
case.

Awesome use of the dig command! Thanks for sharing that.

- Zake