Art Alexion on 5 Aug 2004 22:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs options

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:24:39PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:

I think I get Windows long file names using "mkisofs -J", but I can't
test this locally. It's less clear if "-r -J" is reasonable, although
mkisofs gives no error.

-J is only really necessary if you plan on _only_ using the disc with Win95 or older nt(4?) machines. You can safely omit it for anyting newer. It is actually detrimental for most reasonable OS's, as it strips some of the flexibility out of the iso9660 standard - it's more like an extension of a subset of the standard, rather than a standard + extension. I think max filename length and character set are among the things that this affects.

-r is really what I think you want - you want the Rock Ridge extension
to the iso9660 standard, which gives you filenames up to 31(maybe?)
characters, some flexibility WRT character set, and a standardized
permissions set (the standardized part sucks for file systems that
actually understand permissions, but it tries to be interoperable).

Does the -J parameter stand for Jolliet? If so, Jolliet CDs I have burnt on w32 have *all* been readable -- with long file names -- on my 2.4.x kernel Linux machine. I have chosen the Jolliet format because it seems to be *more* forgiving and flexible vis-a-vis long file names and directory entries. I've been led to understand that Jolliet data co-exists with i so9660 data to make the disc readable on systems that are compatible with either.

Or -- in the words of Roseanne Rosanadana -- if I totally missed this, never mind. :-[

--

Art Alexion

Outlook & AOL users: The signature.asc attachment to this mail is my electronic signature. Do not be concerned; it is only a text file. If your mail software knows how to interpret it, it will do so automatically. If it does not, there is no need to open it.

GnuPG fingerprint
pub  1024D/ACC5BA7A 2004-01-30 Arthur S. Alexion (alternative email
	address)<art.alexion[at]verizon[dot]net>
Key fingerprint = 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
uid  Arthur S. Alexion (Art Alexion) <arthur[at]alexion[dot]com>
sub  1024g/328F84E6 2004-01-30

If this email contains a signed PDF, you can download the public key file at http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/ArthurSAlexion.p7c