Guillermo Moyna on 5 Aug 2004 15:37:02 -0000

[PLUG] Regarding my Fedora Core 2 'hard hang' saga...

Dear all,

After talking to you guys yesterday at the meeting I came up and tried another program with the same result: A hard hang. For those of you who were not there, we are setting up a cluster with Fedora Core 2 that kept hanging hard on execution of a computational chemistry package (Gaussian 98). Since I got the same problem with two completely different packages, it became pretty obvious that is was a kernel issue. Thus, I upgraded from 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 and ... problem solved! Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

Now, I have a question. Our cluster has a head with two NICs, one that sees the 'world' and another that talks exclusively to the local network (i.e., a switch). The nodes only see the local network. This is OK, but the nodes don't see the 'world' in any way. Is there a way to 'tunnel' connections from the nodes to the 'world' through the server. Obviously there has to be. Any suggestions will be appreciated, as it will make updating the software on the nodes much easier...

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

  "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
   All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Griffith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:   ; (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu