Paul on 5 Aug 2004 15:42:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] putty

Aaron Mulder wrote:

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Paul wrote:

I use Cygwin for ssh'ing from Window$. It also allows me to do remote X through XDMCP. http://cygwin.com/

Can you elaborate on the remote X? As in, you could run "xeyes" or some other graphical progam off the Linux machine and have it display on your Windows machine? Does it run a whole Linux desktop or can you just have individual X windows mixed in with your Windows windows on your Windows desktop? Is there any particular configuration that needs to be done on either the Linux side or the Windows side, other than installing Cygwin?

1, I can run a local X session, then use ssh to forward an instance of xeyes to my local X desktop. 2, I can use XDMCP to display an entire remote X session.

You must enable XDMCP on the remote GNU/Linux box. XDMCP is disabled by default for security reasons. Enabling it only require a few simple clicks in Gnome.

Configuring Cygwin for X just requires choosing to install the components for X. Just selecting a window manager to be installed will cause the minimum requirements for running the window manager to be selected as well. After install, just try running the following command after starting a Cygwin shell: X -query IPaddress :1 &

If everything works properly, you will be greeted by a login prompt.

Alternately, just start X, then ssh -X to your remote Linux box, and type in the name of a program and it will appear on your screen.