sean finney on 5 Aug 2004 16:57:02 -0000

windows and X (was Re: [PLUG] putty)

just to throw in my $0.02.

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:41:37AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> 1, I can run a local X session, then use ssh to forward an instance of
> xeyes to my local X desktop.  2, I can use XDMCP to display an entire
> remote X session.
>
> You must enable XDMCP on the remote GNU/Linux box.  XDMCP is disabled by
> default for security reasons.  Enabling it only require a few simple
> clicks in Gnome.

there's no reason to enable XDMCP, which like you said is disabled
for security reasons.  you can run X apps on your desktop
like normal windows apps, just as if you were on a linux box.  i don't
know when this feature was added, but it was certainly after

http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2002-12/msg00437.html

which was a thread i started way back in the day asking if there
was a free equivalent to xwin32 (a commercial product which does this).
at the time, cygwin required running an entire window manager as a
windowed application, and all x apps would then run inside that window.

these days, however, you can run xwin in "multiwin" mode, which makes
the root window hidden and each application will show up in its own
right.  if you have a base cygwin/x install, just do

startxwin.sh -multiwin

(there's also a batch script you can drop in "program files/startup"
with some modification if you don't want to be bothered with typing
it in ævery time you log in.

hth
	sean