Tom Diehl on 13 Aug 2004 01:34:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: update strategies/partition issue

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Art Alexion wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> > Art Alexion wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using RH 7.3.  It' s been stable and fine but is starting
> >> to show its age vis-a-vie stuff I' d like to try but can't without a
> >> newer distro.  (Newest frustration is installing gnucash; can't
> >> install newest and distro version fails dependencies because the
> >> dependencies are newer than it expects.)
> >>
> >> I have Mandrake 9.1, Slackware 9.1, Suse 9 (a live eval CD; don't
> >> know whether it will install to the HD), but want to try the hardware
> >> optimized version of Gentoo (need to download).
> >>
> >> I have never updated the same machine with a new distro (only fresh
> >> installs).  I only have 3 partitions: /, /boot and /swap.  Is there
> >> anyway to update without loosing home directories, /opt stuff, etc.?
> >>
> > First, back-up everything or grab a new harddrive.  If you want to
> > upgrade RedHat 7.3 you might want to stick with the RedHat X.X
> > series.  How about trying RedHat 9.0?
>

> Well I have the CDs for 8.0 but not 9.0.

they are free for the downloading if you have the bandwidth. :-)

> > I don't know if Fedora would work well over RedHat 7.1.
>

> I have 7.3, but I guess the same issues remain.  BTW, is FC1 more stable
> than FC2, or should I go with 2 if I am going in that direction?

FC1 on my desktop has been very stable for me. The problem is it is going
to be that FC1 is going to be EOL'd mid Sept. I do not remember the exact date,
so technically you are in the same situation, although admittedly things would
be newer and Fedora legacy will be taking over maintenence assuming there are
enough people to do the work. In addition the fedora.us, freshrpms, dag, etc.
repositories contain a lot more toys for fc1 then any of the older distros,
so that may help.

FWIW I have the following on my desktop machine:
(tigger pts3) $ uptime
 21:20:41  up 170 days,  8:25, 79 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
(tigger pts3) $

So stability is not a problem.

I have FC2 running as my firewall and for that purpose it appears to be
doing a fine job but it is only running a bare install. No X etc.

> > Hey, how about Whitebox or CentOS?
>
> This is a computer on a 2.5 computer network (the 0.5 is an old Win95
> 486-vesa bus; running the old software like a charm; I use it for some
> old vertical apps that aren't worth upgrading to current versions) so I
> wonder if Whitebox or CentOS aren' t overkill?
>

> > In any case, switching to something non-RedHat would require a fresh
> > install.
> >

> Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> >Although I would not recommend upgrading to RHL 7.3 or 9 since neither is
> >supported by Red Hat, the Fedora Legacy project (fedoralegacy.org) is still
> >providing updates for both RHL 7.3 and 9. They will most likely continue
> >to do so as long as there is enough interest by volunteers to create the
> >errata releases. Due to lack of interest they have discontinued support
> >for anything older than 7.3 and RHL 8.0.
> >

> George Gallen wrote:
>
> >> Generally, when RH sees it has a former self on install it
> >> asks if you want to upgrade or install (fresh). If you pick
> >> upgrade, it will just upgrade the kernel and any drivers I
> >> believe you are using.
> >>
> >> I upgraded 7.3 to 8.0 without a problem
> >> then upgraded from 8.0 to FC1, but a USB network adapter didn't work.
> >> But then I did a fresh install of FC1 and it worked fine, so something
> >> didn't take on the second upgrade.
> >>
> OK.
>
> First, I am pleasantly surprised that I can upgrade RH->RH without
> loosing my data.
>
> I don't think the swap partition is big enough.  Not sure.  But I can
> burn /home to a CD-RW or 2.
>
> I yanked a 40 GB Maxtor from a computer I was going to put in my wife's
> classroom.  She just needs a word processor, anyway.  So I guess I can
> try a new distro on that.  Any opinions on the hardware optimized
> version of Gentoo?  Mandrake?  Slackware?
>
> Meantime, I may as well try upgrading RH 7.3 -> 8.0 or whatever else
> would be an easy upgrade just to see.  Can I skip versions if I get a
> hold of a newer RH?

I would try it but be sure to have good backups just in case.

If you do upgrade to 8.0 or 9 one of the first things you want to do is
upgrade rpm. If you do not you will regret it. Rpm especially as shipped
with 8.0 is buggy. As best as I can tell the reason Red Hat never issued
an official errata for it had something to do with internal politics.
JBJ [1] released packages on rpm.org for those people who wanted a working
rpm package. I have used it on numerous 8.0 and 9 machines and never
regretted it.

> >> I'd do:
> >>
> >> 1. Make a full backup.
> >>

> I suppose there isn't that much reason to back up more than /home?

Maybe also /etc if you want your config settings.

> > Dan Widyono wrote:
> >
> >FWIW, GnuCash was a royal pain to install on 7.3 but it was very easy on
> >9.0.  My next adventure is to install FermiLinux SL3.0.2 (RHEL3 based distro)
> >and see if GnuCash plays nicely with it.
> >
> >GC doesn't have budgeting, so currently I use double line entry and manually
> >set the Transaction Type to BUDGET instead of Deposit/ATM/POS/etc.  Oh well.
> >Based on forum discussion, it sounds like adding
> >"true-to-accounting-practices" budgeting to GC will take a lot of work which
> >nobody seems to be willing to do at the moment.
> >

> I have a CPA neighbor who tells me that none of the user targeted
> accounting packages -- Quicken, Quickbooks, Peachtree or Money have
> "true to accounting practices budgeting" dealing with lay concepts like
> income and expense rather than debits and credits.  I suppose gnucash is
> aimed at the same user as the win-mac products, above, so it uses the
> lay concepts both for general understanding and for compatibility in
> terms of import-export.
>
> I am anxious to get it working because I just switched banks, and I want
> to start the new account in gnucash rather than having to move it from
> Quickbooks.

Not sure what your requirements are but if you are looking for an open
source accounting package targeted for businesses you might want to look
at sql-ledger. Runs on a web server and is written in perl. The author
will for a small fee provide a manual and support or you can join the
mailing list.

Tom