Jeff Abrahamson on 19 Aug 2004 16:10:03 -0000

Re: debian releases (was Re: [PLUG] devfs, scsi, & 2.6)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:40:06PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> i don't know what the story is with gnome, but istr a year or so back
> a situation with kde where for a couple months it was uninstallable.
> i wouldn't have noticed on my machines apart from the fact that i had
> a bunch of packages held back (since it couldn't meet the dependencies,
> it wouldn't upgrade them), but i had some friends who got burned pretty
> badly by dist-upgrading and losing kde.

Did you only upgrade rather than dist-upgrade?

> wrt security, testing is actually the worst place to be, because you
> don't have the excellent infrastructure that stable provides and at
> the same time have to wait for updates to trickle in from unstable
> (which can sometimes get the fixes before stable).  typically, this
> means an extra 24 hours or so of waiting for an update, but if there
> are any problems with the package or its dependencies in sid, it can
> be much longer.
>
> this is why i usually recommend either a stable/testing mix (where a
> small number of packages are selectively pulled in from testing, and
> the remaining packages are still tracking security), or a testing/unstable
> mix (where packages are pulled in from unstable on an as-needed basis).

Assuming you'd upgrade daily or even notice the security alert that
fast.  Most people probably will hear about a security problem only a
few days later.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20