Paul on 19 Aug 2004 17:56:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

Jon Nelson wrote:

I have a Maxtor D540X-4K 40gb drive that I took out of my Tivo after it
stopped working.  I put it into a Linux box as secondary master and the
BIOS messages stated that the drive failed.  In the boot messages Linux
saw it as /dev/hdc.  An 'fdisk -l /dev/hdc' returned nothing.

The drive does spin.  Since I had nothing to loose I took of the top of
the drive and watched it spin up.  The arm traveled from the center to the
edge.  When the drive was accessed the arm went back to the center with a
"clunk".  This could be heard before the cover was removed as well.

I want to try to replace the controller card to see if this fixes the
problem.  Has anyone ever done this?  Does it work?  Where is the best
place to get a replacement?

Yes, replacing the controller board is a known solution. Try ebay for a replacement.

You really shouldn't remove the cover from the drive mechanism itself. Dust and fingerprints aren't welcome inside.