Guillermo Moyna on 19 Aug 2004 18:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

Jon,

The drive does spin. Since I had nothing to loose I took of the top of
the drive and watched it spin up. The arm traveled from the center to the
edge. When the drive was accessed the arm went back to the center with a
"clunk". This could be heard before the cover was removed as well.

One problem of removing the cover is that you let air in, and then friction will cause the drive to heat up a lot more (they are 'vacuum-packed').

I want to try to replace the controller card to see if this fixes the
problem.  Has anyone ever done this?  Does it work?  Where is the best
place to get a replacement?

I've done this so many times with Seagate SCSI drives it's not even funny. We bought ~10 machines with identical drives which started failing one after another. My solution was to take the controller from a good one, put it on a bad one, and 'dd' the data to a new, different model/make, SCSI drive of the same capacity. It never failed.

G.

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

  "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
   All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Griffith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:   ; (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu