Jon Nelson on 19 Aug 2004 18:51:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

Guillermo Moyna said:
> One problem of removing the cover is that you let air in, and then
> friction will cause the drive to heat up a lot more (they are
> 'vacuum-packed').

Good to know.

> I've done this so many times with Seagate SCSI drives it's not even
> funny. We bought ~10 machines with identical drives which started
> failing one after another. My solution was to take the controller from
> a good one, put it on a bad one, and 'dd' the data to a new, different
> model/make, SCSI drive of the same capacity. It never failed.

Since there was only one drive on ebay for $45 I did some more looking
around and found http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/instantcake for $20
which looks like it will get me back up and running.

Thanks for all the help.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation