Bob Schwier on 21 Aug 2004 16:10:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Jon Nelson wrote:

> I have a Maxtor D540X-4K 40gb drive that I took out of my Tivo after it
> stopped working.  I put it into a Linux box as secondary master and the
> BIOS messages stated that the drive failed.  In the boot messages Linux
> saw it as /dev/hdc.  An 'fdisk -l /dev/hdc' returned nothing.
>
> The drive does spin.  Since I had nothing to loose I took of the top of
> the drive and watched it spin up.  The arm traveled from the center to the
> edge.  When the drive was accessed the arm went back to the center with a
> "clunk".  This could be heard before the cover was removed as well.
>
> I want to try to replace the controller card to see if this fixes the
> problem.  Has anyone ever done this?  Does it work?  Where is the best
> place to get a replacement?
I've tried changing the controller card.  Sometimes it works.  Does the
mother board's bios recognize it?
Another trick is to put it alone on a mother board with a 3 1/2 drive
and use old dos and norton to board the drive.  Use FDisk to zero out
the MBP where there may be some distructive trash.
bs