Ziegler, Scott on 19 Aug 2004 20:38:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

The simple fact that you opened this drive has rendered it useless. The
drives are assembled in a clean room due to the tight space tolerance
between the read/write head and the disk platter. The space is so small that
a single spec of dust would appear as a mountain and you now have a lot of
dust specs in the disk environment. I would not waste any more time on that
one.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Jon Nelson
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 1:38 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Fixing bad hard drive

I have a Maxtor D540X-4K 40gb drive that I took out of my Tivo after it
stopped working.  I put it into a Linux box as secondary master and the
BIOS messages stated that the drive failed.  In the boot messages Linux
saw it as /dev/hdc.  An 'fdisk -l /dev/hdc' returned nothing.

The drive does spin.  Since I had nothing to loose I took of the top of
the drive and watched it spin up.  The arm traveled from the center to the
edge.  When the drive was accessed the arm went back to the center with a
"clunk".  This could be heard before the cover was removed as well.

I want to try to replace the controller card to see if this fixes the
problem.  Has anyone ever done this?  Does it work?  Where is the best
place to get a replacement?

TIA,

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.