Paul on 21 Aug 2004 18:49:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS, 2s failures

John McElroy wrote:

Have you gone through the entire testing process that the apcupsd manual
suggests? Including the 'pull the plug' test? I've set up the daemon also and
all seems to be running properly but I have not run this test yet to make sure
the UPS keeps my PC running upon power outage.

Yes, I have done testing. I didn't use the procedures in the manual. I just pulled the plug! As a result, I did end up with some instant shutdowns. *^_^*

The Windows PC hibernates upon power loss. The only problem left is that apcupsd is no longer running when the PC resumes. I'm sure a complete shutdown would solve that problem, but hibernating is faster and it doesn't cause local applications to shut down. (I want the Linux PC to hibernate, too.)

The Linux PC shutdowns down completely. One thing I made sure of is that --killpower is not used because that would shut down the UPS itself. That would defeat the main purpose of having the UPS, which is to keep the phone system running. I want the UPS to run until it dies! That really wasn't a problem because my kernel refused to issue the killpower command.

Overall, apcupsd is impressive [to me] and fairly easy to use. \(^o^)/

What I do need it at least 15 feet (About 5 meters, right?) of extension cord to actually connect the Windows PC to the UPS. Now there's a power question in the making. Is it OK to have a six foot PC power cord that is connected to a 15 foot extension cord that is connected to a power strip that is connected to the UPS? I know the circuit isn't overloaded, but that's lots of cables and connectors! Would a Fire Marshall smack me down for that?

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, let me know.