Paul on 25 Aug 2004 23:59:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoIP update

Did you test the claim that your UPS will power your cable modem, router, and VoIP box for at least two hours? The UPS uses energy just to run an inverter to create AC power. Also, batteries are known to lose their capacity as they age.

How much wattage do your components consume? Is a utility like apcupsd reporting the estimated runtime?

In my case, I have to actually pull the plug for apcupsd to give me a more accurate load and runtime estimate. I don't know if that's unusual or not. If I remember correctly, my 500VA UPS claims that if will run less than two hours with just the cable modem, VoIP box, and cordless phone attached. I think it claimed 90 minutes or less.

Ed Martin wrote:

Oh I can still stay online with my laptop for 2 hours ;-)