Howard Bloom on 29 Aug 2004 18:52:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] I don't get it. What's the big deal with putting the response on top?

 If I am reading a thread and using the "next" choice within the email
message, it is much quicker to read the responses on the top as I don't have
to scroll down.  I can quickly flip through all the responses without having
to move my mouse except to click.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Tobias DiPasquale
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 2:15 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] I don't get it. What's the big deal with putting the
response on top?
Not really, considering the answer to #2 above and the fact that the number
of times a message is composed (1) is far outweighed by the number of times
it will be read in the future (including spiders and whatnot).

Consider the chapters of a book: what would you think of an author that put
the chapters in reverse order (19, 18, 17... 2, 1, TOC)?? And how much more
difficult would it be to read said book?

IMO, all MUAs should implement something along the lines of Gmail:
automatically hide the quoted text and organize messages by "conversation"
(thread), such that following the stream of thoughts is much easier without
having to read a bunch of quoted text. Until such time, however, for
posterity and ease of reading, bottom-posting is the way to go.