Alexander Birch on 29 Aug 2004 19:19:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] I don't get it. What's the big deal with putting the response on top?

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:51:43 -0400, Howard Bloom <lists@pc-man.com> wrote:
>  If I am reading a thread and using the "next" choice within the email
> message, it is much quicker to read the responses on the top as I don't have
> to scroll down.  I can quickly flip through all the responses without having
> to move my mouse except to click.

Howard,

Usually I don't bother reply to top posts. You're free to do that all
you want, just realize that many dislike it and will simply delete
your emails.

Here are my reasons to post on the bottom:
1) The context is present, this way it's easier to understand an
answer. Remember than people can google questions problems and get
answers. What good is an answer if you have to scroll down and see if
the problem is the same before they accept your answer.

2) It's more of a conversation. This also allows you to trim
unnecessary parts out of the email. This makes it more difficult for
people to take a statement out of context.

Don't get me wrong. At work when I send emails to the non-technical
people I top post all the time. I just assume people here are techies
and bottom post.

Cheers,
Alex

"Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices"
~Ralph Waldo Emerson