Aaron Mulder on 31 Aug 2004 00:49:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] system upgrade recommendations

	If you have no budget, get a dual Opteron.  You'll have to find a
workstation board, because most of the server boards (sadly including all
the quad boards) don't have an AGP slot.  Also, you want a board with RAM
banks for each CPU, not all the RAM on one CPU.  The Tyan 2885/K8W is
nice.  But many of these board require extra-large cases and/or non-ATX
power supplies, so you'd be in for a lot.  (BTW, Sun's selling one on Ebay
for about $4k.)

	But assuming you *have* a budget, I'd vote for a 64.  The MP seems
pointless now, since a high-end 64 is probably both faster and cheaper
than a pair of MPs.  Just try to get a model that supports dual-channel
RAM.  As far as the motherboards go, it really depends on what you want to
do with it.  When I was looking, I wanted gigabit LAN and SATA RAID, but
many boards distinguish themselves with overclocking features, fancy
audio, even dual BIOS chips (in case you fry the first one, I guess).
One of the nicer features of the board I ended up buying was that it had a
power and reset switch on the board, so you can test that the board, CPU,
RAM, and power supply work before you actually hook in the case buttons
and stuff.  Of course, if you get a 64, and it's a new generation for you,
you'll have to get new RAM too, and if you get dual-channel, you need
pairs of RAM.  (I wouldn't get an FX; they used to be the only models with
dual-channel RAM, but I think now some of the regular 64's support it, so
the FX is just a lot of extra cash for no real payoff.)

	It you're *really* on a budget, get an XP and the cheapest
motherboard you can get your hands on, and it will be a darn inexpensive
upgrade.

Aaron