Ed Martin on 11 Sep 2004 11:05:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

I personally put Lindows on my neighbor's laptop that is a novice but kept
getting viruses. They picked it right up it connected to their wireless
network with little hassle.
This is a perfect example of inroads Linux is making on the desktop. The
Click and Run warehouse is a very nice feature also.

After 2 weeks with the Novel / SUSE kit I'm finding it very easy to
integrate in my windows domain. Updates with YAST is a slam dunk.
OpenOffice.org or Star office are excellent packages.

At this point the major problem on the desktop falls more to misperception
than incompatibility or ability. Education is our key here. Build up a box
and plop it on you bosses desk. Make up a kiosk and display it where people
can play with it. The next time you give a presentation make it with a linux
computer and give a plug at the beginning (this gives people time to ask
questions and think) It's just a matter of education at this point.
~Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Howard Bloom
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 12:06 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

It would appear that although he liked it very much, many things are not as
easy to use as windows especially for the novice.

"A few complications
But overall, (and here's where staunch Linux fans will take exception) this
machine is not as easy to use for most computer users as the same machine
running Windows XP or (if it could) Apple's OS X.  You still need to know a
lot more about the inner workings of a computer to excel on a Linux machine.

For instance, software installs aren't as easy to figure out as on a Windows
or Mac computer. You must figure out on your own things like where to store
the software and associated programs and how to handle permissions. These
are not things most consumers want to do. Installs should be easy to find
when completed. That's not always the case for new Linux users.

Then there's how the notebook handles the little things like WiFi
networking: although the HP/SuSE notebook now automatically connects to my
access point, it only remembers one group of settings. I have two access
points at home, not to mention others to which I regularly connect. With the
nx5000, you need to change the access point and WEP settings separately for
each location. Tell that to Windows and Mac users and they'll laugh."