Chris Mann on 13 Sep 2004 16:59:04 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:49, Howard Bloom wrote:

> I don't overlook it, it just isn't possible using the current set of tools.
> My day to day programs at this point require the use of Windows.  I would
> prefer the stability of Linux over Windows any day but I can't move until I
> can function at least close to the same level as I do in Windows.

I'm in somewhat of the same boat, both at home and work. At work, I can generally get everything I need to do done on Linux. When I need window, I fire up a VMWare session and get it done.
Sadly, as much I was  would love to move my users over to *nix, it's impossible right now, due to the fact that our core app won't run under Wine/Crossover et al.

At home, it's a bit of a different story. I keep windows around because, well.. I can't play Lineage2, Neocron, EQ or most of my other digital addictions on *nix.

We're getting there on the desktop, thankfully. Hopefully in the next 2 years or so, we'll see some of the final leaps happen.