Chris Mann on 13 Sep 2004 17:38:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ACT! - was critique

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 13:26, Howard Bloom wrote:

> Act! Is a contact manager.  It is not a mail program or just an address
> book, but a very complicated tickler system to keep information about any
> contact right in front of your face, and the ability to schedule.  It ties
> into Outlook but could replace outlook completely as it has its own mail
> client built in, but it won't filter messages into folders.  It is now
> running on SQL where it was running dbase foxpro before.

Hrmm, that's tickling my interest. I know there are some projects out
there such as horde or nuralstorm that are decent at mailing/filtering,
which means it can be done.

> I can write letters directly from it, and also do mail merges or letter
> merges using any bit of information stored.

Hrmm again, the curiosity is tickled. While it might not be as simple as
I'm thinking (and I"m sure it's not) I can get a basic idear of how it
*might* be done.

> I have been using this product since 1989 when it was DOS version 1.  And
> yes, it will get rid of the post it notes.

But one has to want to get rid of the postit notes. I find them oddly
comforting ;)