Rebecca Ore on 13 Sep 2004 18:20:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iptables -A INPUT -s Howard_Bloom/0 -j DROP

On Monday, September 13, 2004, at 12:52 PM, Stephen Gran wrote:

ISTM that Howard is not
comfortable with linux yet, and can't figure out how to do what he
wants/needs to do with linux, and is taking out his short comings and
frustrations on anyone who will listen.

To be honest, there are some things Linux can't do. I'm using a Mac because I have to communicate with people who have MS Word installed and they can't open Open Office equivalent files, it seems. Don't know if they'll be able to open Mac Word files yet, but it's one less step for me to use roughly the same programs that the people I work for and with do.

But if everyone was using Linux and Open Office, then I would be happy to use those.

Some of this is an "it depends" situation. The average home user can use Linux on the desktop and do most of the things home users do (except perhaps for some gaming), and for these people, Linux is likely to be way more secure than the Windows equivalent. The average office may need programs where Linux equivalents don't exist or may need to communicate with other people still running MS Word.

Which desktops?