Howard Bloom on 13 Sep 2004 19:48:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Rivell
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 3:21 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

On Monday 13 September 2004 02:45 pm, M.Simons wrote:

> > I have reinstalled my Office Desktop 4 times this year.  It took me
> > a while To me, Linux offers more stability and that is important to
> > me.  It is certainly stable in the server realm.

> So then, in essence, what you are saying is that Windows isn't ready
> for the desktop.

HAHAHAHAHA.   Thats about what I was saying a couple days ago.  My uncles
for
one love Linux on their desktop.  Granted they only listen to music, view
video, read e-mail, and browse the web.  I'm trying to hook them up into the
world of RSS feeds currently :)

------------------

This is the point I made at the very beginning of this voluminous thread.
Desktop Linux is wonderful if your expectations are not high.  It excels in
doing a fine job for basic work on less of a machine and less memory.

I put Linux on discarded computers from clients and give them away to
College Students who cannot afford them and also the PAL - that's Police
Athletic League - kids who can't afford a computer.  Someone's trash has
just become a kid's computer and works great.

It just seems to me that so many who have responded to this thread, have
taken the fact that Linux is not ready for mainstream use on the desktop,
very personally and I don't know why.

Am I insulting you with the truth?

Howard