Rebecca Ore on 15 Sep 2004 13:34:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

On Wednesday, September 15, 2004, at 08:09 AM, Art Alexion wrote:

I think it is a configuration problem because of the nature of the windows implementation of pppoe is not set to automatically reconnect. Hence, if I was getting the same disconnects when the Windows machine was connected, I would be repeatedly prompted to manually reconnect -- and I am not.

Do you have a baby router (Linksys, Belkin, NetGear) between your dsl modem and the machines? They're about $30 to $60 for the wired variety and various hands on the list can talk you through the configuration if you don't have. The router will then made attempts to keep you connected if the connection fails for any reason. And most of them come with a firewall and NAT so you're going to be a bit more secure. And you won't have to use Verizon's software, either.

Verizon doesn't officially support anything other than a model of Linksys but most of the help desk kids can talk you through troubleshooting any of the baby routers.